2D Class Week 08 Film - Blade Runner



This week we watched Blade Runner.

My answers to the questions:

1. Who was the director of the film? What other movies has this director produced?

The Director of the film was Ridley Scott who worked on fantastic movies like Alien, Gladiator and Black Hawk Down. The questionably good Kingdom of Heaven, the embarrassment that was Exodus Gods and Kings and the honestly-pretty-bad prequels Prometheus and Alien: Covenant that I will continue to pour money into anyways because I love Alien.

2. Artistically, what did you like about this film?

Everything! The lighting, the composition, the sounds, the mood, the designs! This world is so fantastically built, a future where animals are rarities, life is dirty and grimy and over-all dark. It's such a gloomy setting and it work's perfectly with the smoky silhouetting and the green/blue/yellow lighting. The air just feels filthy. Visibility often being so low makes the important details stand out more vibrantly. I could go on. I was in physical pain over people laughing at this film because of how much I care about it. Laughing! At tragic moments! The nerve!

3. Was Decker a replicant?

Yes! Or at least, I thought so. I always assumed that the origami unicorn at the end was supposed to represent that they knew Deckard dreamt (which is apparently not a word) of Unicorns because they were the ones to implant those memories and ideas into him. However, the new movie trailer confused me greatly because I never imagined Deckard growing old and ornery. Which is just Harrison Ford in a nutshell, really. The new Han Solo, Indiana Jones, now Deckard... all just grumpy, old men.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2D Class Week 15 Film 7 – The Secrete of Nimh

2D Class Week 13 Film 6 – The Thing

2D Class Week 02 The Art of Brian Froud